Besan flour (Kaala Channa flour-optional) 1 ¾ cups (400 ml)
Rice flour 1 cup (200 ml)
Onion (finely chopped) 1 cup
Green chillies (finely chopped) - 5
Red Chilli powder (paprika) - 1tsp
Ginger (fresh) – 1-2 tsp
Curry leaves – finely cut
Butter (room temperature) – 1 Tbsp
Baking soda – 2 pinch
Salt – 1 ½ tsp
Oil – 2-3 cups
In a bowl mix onion, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves, red chilli powder, salt, baking soda, butter. Add Besan flour & Rice flour to this and sprinkle water gradually to hard/thick consistency. In medium heat, sprinkle this mix little at a time and deep fry to golden brown. Remove and serve hot with coconut or mint chutney.
1. Garam Pakora (pakoda) is usually made with yellow besan flour. You can try with kaala channa flour too.
2. Use ¾ cups onion and ¼ cup cashew nuts for taste. You can also add finely chopped green onion.
3. Instead of onion add 1 cup of coarsely chopped cashew nuts.
4. Use 10 green chillies and avoid red chilli powder (paprika).
5. In place of green chillies add 2 tsp of red chilli powder (paprika) only
6. Butter or butter substitute can be used. Olive oil gives a different flavor.
7. Adjust chilli powder & salt according to taste.